Spicy Sautéed Mo Qua
- Flavor is similar to a cucumber.
- Mo Qua pairs especially well with strong-tasting dishes such as oyster sauces.
- 2 medium fuzzy melons (mo qua), peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced 18 inch thick (6 cups)
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and melon and sauté for 2 minutes, until the melon has absorbed the oil.
- Add ¼ cup of water and sauté, stirring occasionally, until water evaporates.
- Repeat this process, adding water in ¼-cup increments, until the melon is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, and red pepper flakes and sauté for another minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.