Texas Style Chili
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 3 ½ pounds Jungle Jim’s Homemade Mexican Chorizo
- ¼ cup salad oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 medium green peppers, diced
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (2-ounce) can tomato paste
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cheese for garnish
- Brown meat in oil in Dutch oven, then remove and set aside.
- Reserve ½ cup onions. Cover and set aside.
- Add remaining onions, peppers, and garlic to drippings in pan over medium heat. Cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more oil if necessary.
- Return meat to pan, add tomatoes with liquid, and remaining ingredients, except cheese and onions. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 ½ hours or until meat is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon chili into large bowl, sprinkle cheese on top for garnish. Pass reserved onion to sprinkle over each serving.