Apple Almond Tart
Ingredients (makes 3-4 servings)
- ½ sheet puff pastry (½ sheet = approximately 4½x9 inches), thawed
- ½ package almond paste (3½ ounces)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 2 teaspoons butter, cut into ¼-inch bits
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple jelly, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place puff pastry on prepared sheet and fold edges over by ¼ inch and crimp to create a ¼-inch thick border.
- Roll almond paste into a 4x8-inch rectangle, trimming to fit within the border of the puff pastry. Lay almond paste rectangle on top of pastry.
- Beginning in 1 corner of the tart, shingle apple slices over almond paste in neat, diagonal rows, overlapping each slice by about half, until surface is completely covered.
- Dot apple slices with butter.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle apple slices evenly.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and apples have softened and caramelized, 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and brush apples with melted jelly.
- Let cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving.