Artichoke, Ham and Goat Cheese Strata
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 8 cups 1-inch cubes sourdough bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 ½ cups ham, diced into small cubes
- 12 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained, quartered
- 4-5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 8 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Tip: substitute cheddar or swiss cheese for the fontina if you like
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish.
- Place bread cubes evenly in prepared dish and pour milk over the top.
- Let stand until milk is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with the goat cheese, herbs, ham, artichokes, fontina and Parmesan.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until blended. Add cream, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk until well mixed.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over ingredients in baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes until browned and firm in the center.
- Allow strata to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.