Asian Pear Slaw
- Asian pears are crunchy and sweet. Their skin can be brown, yellow, or yellow-green and smooth or rough.
- To use, peel and slice before serving with sparkling wine for a light dessert!
- These are also called Chinese apples, Pa's, and apple pears.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon peeled fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 firm Asian pears, cut into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot red chili, or to taste
- Peel strings from celery with a Y-shaped vegetable peeler and cut celery into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks.
- Whisk together juice, vinegar, and ginger, then stir in the celery and remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.