Beef and Butternut Squash Chili
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can chili beans
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled, small dice
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown beef in a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven and drain well.
- Add bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, squash, broth, cumin and chili powder; bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn and hot sauce and simmer, uncovered 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili thickens.
- Season generously to taste with salt and pepper.