Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ingredients (serves 4)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large head broccoli, florets and thin stems chopped
- 1 pound processed cheese spread, cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; sprinkle flour over butter and whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth.
- Add carrot, celery and onion; stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli florets and simmer 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.
- Add cheese cubes and stir until melted.
- Stir in half-and-half, ¼ cup at a time, until soup reaches desired consistency; heat through.
From Leigh’s cookbook Be Your Guest