Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup
Ingredients (serves 4)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ pound broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ pound cauliflower florets, chopped
- 1 pound processed cheese spread, cubed
- ¼ -¾ cup half-and half, to thin to desired consistency
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a 4 to 5-quart pan over medium heat; sprinkle flour over butter and whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth.
- Add carrots, celery and onions; stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped broccoli florets and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender.
- Add cheese cubes and stir until melted.
- Stir in half-and-half, ¼ cup at a time, until soup reaches desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and heat through.