Brown Butter Mocha Cookies with Sea Salt and Caramel
Ingredients (makes 2 dozen)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups packed dark brown sugar - you can use light brown
- ¼ granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + one egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup caramel bits
- ¾ - 1 cup coarsely chopped Dark Chocolate with Almonds
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir and watch carefully.
- When the butter begins to turn brown and fragrant, remove from heat and pour into the bowl of a stand mixer to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
- While butter is cooling, combine the flour, coffee, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- When the butter has cooled, add the sugars and beat until well combined - at least 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, yolk and vanilla until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and combine on low speed until just mixed.
- The caramel bits and chocolate chunks can be mixed in gently by hand.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop to make balls of dough. Eight scoops of dough per pan.
- Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 9 minutes and then check to see that the edges are brown and the dough is not shiny.
- Bake an additional 1 to 2 minutes if more time is needed.
- Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and remove to a rack.