Ingredients (makes about 1 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar.
- Boil, without stirring, until mixture turns a pale golden color, about 6-7 minutes.
- Watch closely - the caramel can turn dark very quickly - do not overcook.
- Remove from heat, carefully pour in cream and vanilla – mixture will sputter.
- Stir vigorously until smooth.
- Serve warm.