Caribbean Spicy Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1-2 tablespoons Caribbean-style hot sauce (Matouk’s), to taste
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Scrub and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Poke the skin of each twice with a fork.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove potatoes from the oven.
- Slit sweet potatoes lengthwise and scrape out the pulp, taking care not to tear the skins. Set skin aside.
- In a bowl, combine the potato pulp with butter, shallots, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and mash.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stuff the mixture carefully into the potato skins and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until potatoes are hot and slightly browned on top.