Cheesy Bacon-Wrapped Puff Pastry Straws
Ingredients (makes 26-28 twists )
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 13-14 thin slices of bacon, cut in half
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line two baking sheets with foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Spray the rack with non-stick spray.
- Open one sheet of puff pastry on a cutting board.
- Brush the surface lightly with some of the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with your desired amount of cayenne pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle surface with ½ cup of cheese to evenly cover entire surface.
- Dust a rolling pin with flour and then roll the rolling pin over the cheese to gently press the cheese into the puff pastry.
- Cut the puff pastry into long ½-inch wide strips and then fold in half and then pinch the ends together.
- Twist each strip several times.
- Take a piece of bacon and wrap it around the twisted pastry.
- Place on the rack.
- Repeat with the remaining twists until everything has been used.
- Mix the brown sugar, minced rosemary, salt and pepper in a pie plate.
- Carefully take each bacon wrapped pastry one at a time and dip it through the brown sugar mixture - coat completely.
- Place each coated twist back on the rack.
- Bake the twists for 35-40 minutes. Check them at 30 minutes to make sure they aren't burning. Once the bacon is cooked and the twists are browned, remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Use a thin spatula to carefully lift the twists off the rack so they don't stick.
- Allow them to cool another 10 minutes to firm and crisp up before serving.