- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
- 1½ tablespoons pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 small (5½-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- 6 ounces crumbled queso fresco or shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat olive oil in an 11-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper and sauté until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Add tomatoes and pureed chipotles and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the chicken, cover pan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is heated through, 7-8 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Heat a small cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Warm tortillas one at a time, turning once, until slightly puffy and just beginning to show char marks.
- Assemble tacos by spooning some of the chicken mixture over a warmed tortilla.
- Top with avocado slices, cheese, cabbage, cilantro and sour cream, squeeze lime juice over all, fold taco in half and enjoy.