Cinnamon Apple Cider Cake
Ingredients for Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute 1 cup of white whole wheat flour for 1 cup all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 small apples (about ¾ pound), peeled, cored and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (plus a couple teaspoons more if needed) of apple cider
Directions for Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With nonstick baking spray or butter, grease either a standard 12-cup muffin pan, an 8-inch round, a 9-inch square baking pan, a standard loaf pan or a 5-cup bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Gently stir in the diced apples and chopped walnuts.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the apple cider, maple syrup, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and gently combine until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into the greased baking pan of choice.
- Bake until bread is golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Time in the oven varies depending on your choice of pan: 30 minutes for muffins and 45 minutes to 1 hour for a cake, loaf or bundt pan. Our bundt pan was done in 45 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool completely.
Directions for Glaze
- Whisk the apple cider into the powdered sugar until well incorporated.
- Adjust the glaze with more apple cider if it is too thick.
- Drizzle over bread.