Cinnamon Candy Popcorn
Ingredients (makes 12 cups)
- 3 quarts air popped popcorn (½ half cup before popping)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 9 ounces Red Hots or Cinnamon Imperials (1⅛ cups)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250°F .
- Place popcorn in a large, ungreased, shallow stainless steel bowl (15 inch diameter).
- Combine butter, cinnamon candy, sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and add salt, vanilla and baking soda; stir well. Mixture will sputter and become thick and foamy.
- Pour over popcorn and stir to coat as evenly as possible. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely on waxed paper and break apart. Makes 12 cups.
To bake in a baking pan:
- Place popcorn a a large bowl.
- Pour cooked cinnamon mixture over corn and stir well.
- Turn into a greased 15 x10-inch baking pan and bake as above.