Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 ounces macaroni, shell, penne or other pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil; cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain well and return to pan.
- While the pasta cooks, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk in flour until no lumps remain.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until completely incorporated and smooth.
- Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cheddar, Parmesan, mustard and Worcestershire until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Pour sauce over drained pasta and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.