Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Prick sweet potatoes 2-3 times with a fork, place on baking sheet and bake until soft, about 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool until potatoes can be handled comfortably.
- Slice cooled potatoes in half and scoop out cooked potato.
- Working in batches, purée potatoes in a blender or food processor with enough chicken broth to make a smooth soup.
- Pour purée into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add brown sugar, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, curry and cayenne pepper and stir well.
- Cover pan and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in cream, and taste for seasonings.
- Serve hot.