Ingredients (for cake)
- 3 ounces very soft butter
- 3 ounces sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts
Ingredients (for buttercream)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 ounces very soft butter
- 4 ounces confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
Directions for Cake
- Grease an 8x6x2-inch baking dish* with nonstick spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs in 2 additions.
- Add flour and espresso powder and mix well.
- Stir in ¼ cup walnuts by hand.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Place in microwave and cook at full power for 2 minutes.
- Reduce power to 50% and microwave again for 2 minutes.
- After the 4 minutes, check to see if cake is cooked – it should have risen, will spring back when touched and a toothpick should test clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
- If it needs a bit longer, microwave at 50% power for 1 minute more at a time, checking for doneness after each minute.
- Do not overcook or cake will be dry.
- Allow cake to cool completely on a rack.
Directions for Buttercream
- Dissolve the espresso powder in the milk in a medium bowl; add the butter and confectioners’ sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spread the buttercream over the cool cake and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts.