Gobo Root and Carrot Stir-fry
- Gobo root has a sweet, mild, and earthy flavor.
- It takes on a slightly nutty flavor when cooked. Add to stews, stir-fries, and braised dishes. This root is starchy and fries nicely in cooking oil.
- This root is an anti-inflammatory antioxidant.
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 1 large gobo root or a several small gobo roots
- 1 carrot
- ½ to 1 whole dried red chili, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Peel the gobo root, cut into matchsticks, and soak in water. Rinse until water runs clear. Cut carrots into matchsticks as well.
- Measure out the sugar, mirin and soy sauce.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan and sauté gobo root, carrot and red chili on medium heat until carrot is soft. Gobo root will remain a bit harder, but make sure it's not too tough!
- Add in sugar and mirin first. Mix well for a minute or two, then add in soy sauce. Stir-fry until soy sauce begins to caramelize.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy with rice.