Grilled Cheese Caprese Salad
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 (½-inch) slices crusty bread
- 1 ½-pound ball of fresh mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large tomato, beefsteak or heirloom
- Several leaves of fresh basil
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Dried hot chili pepper flakes
- Sliced the ball of fresh mozzarella into thick slices and make two sandwiches with the crusty bread.
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add in the sandwiches, griddling them until lightly golden brown on both sides.
- Cut the sandwiches in half.
- Slice the tomato into 4 thick slices.
- Layer the cut sandwich pieces with tomato, fresh basil, sandwich, tomato, fresh basil etc.
- Drizzle all over with olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar, then season with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and dried hot chili pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately.