- 4 (1-pound) squab, washed, dried and trimmed of fat
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place each squab on its back on the cutting board. With a sharp knife or poultry shears, split the bird in half through the breastbone. Cut out the backbone.
- In a shallow, non-aluminum dish, mix remaining ingredients. Add the squab, turn to coat evenly, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for two hours or overnight.
- Drain the squab and reserve the marinade.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill and grill the squab for about 6 minutes.
- Baste once with reserved marinade; discard the marinade.
- Turn and cook for about 6 minutes longer, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.