Jamaican Style Callaloo Spinach
- Callaloo spinach has a very mild flavor that is similar to regular spinach.
- This spinach is best served cooked. It can be sauteed with spices and potatoes for a simple and delicious side dish.
- This spinach is the main ingredient in the Caribbean soup of the same name.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 1 bunch of fresh Callaloo spinach (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 thick bacon strips cut in pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut leaves and soft stems from the spinach. Soak in a bowl of cold water for about 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the onions, mince the garlic and dice the tomatoes. Set aside
- Remove callaloo from water, drain and chop.
- Cook bacon until crispy; add onions, garlic, thyme and stir for about a minute.
- Add tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper and smoked paprika. Sauté for about 2-3.
- Add spinach, salt, mix well. Steam for about 6-8 minutes or until leaves are tender. Add a tiny bit of water as needed. Adjust seasonings and turn off the heat and serve.