Lasagna Soup with Ricotta Dumplings
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 pound Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (14½) can low sodium chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces small ruffled pasta–or mini lasagna noodles or broken lasagna noodles
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the sausage in a 5 to 7-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- As the sausage cooks, break it up into bite-sized pieces.
- Continue cooking for 8-10 minutes until the sausage is browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Add the onion, red pepper and garlic to the pan and sauté until onion softens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, chicken stock, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, wine, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add noodles and continue simmering the soup for 8-10 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- While the soup cooks, make the dumplings.
- Mix ricotta, Italian blend cheese, parsley, salt and pepper together until well blended.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons onto a plate and set aside.
- Place a ricotta dumpling in the bottom of each bowl and pour hot soup over the top.
- Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and serve.