Lemon Ricotta Muffins
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar or more as needed for sprinkling
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced almonds
- coarse white decorator's sugar for the tops
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the ricotta.
- Beat in the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended (the batter will be thick and fluffy).
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the almonds and then the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar over the muffins.
- Bake until the muffins just become pale golden on top, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.