Mediterranean Skillet Olive Bread
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup lightly packed coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F to make fresh bread.
- Position oven rack in lower-middle position.
- Whisk flour, basil, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in ⅓ cup of cheese and toss to coat with flour.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, sour cream and egg together, whisking until smooth.
- Heat oil in a 8-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat until oil shimmers.
- Pour all but 2 teaspoons of oil mixture into milk mixture, whisking to incorporate.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold milk mixture into fresh bread flour mixture, just until combined.
- Fold in olives; do not overmix. Batter at this point will be thick.
- Quickly scrape it into hot skillet and smooth top.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of bread comes out clean.
- Let bread cool slightly in skillet before removing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.