Nopalitos Con Huevos (Cactus with Eggs)
- Cactus leaves or cactus pads taste like a cross between a green bean and a green bell pepper.
- To use, scrape off any needles with a grater, then peel off the skin.
- Cactus pads are great in egg dishes, soups, stews, or salads. They pair well with onions, tomatoes, and peppers.
- Try grilling the whole leaf!
- ½ pound bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (4-ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 1 pound nopales (fresh cactus pads, cleaned of thorns and sliced into ¼-inch strips)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Fry bacon, remove from pan, and drain.
- Pour off most of the bacon drippings, leaving just enough in the pan to sauté the onions and garlic.
- When onions are transparent, add chilies, nopalitos, chili powder, and tomato.
- Cook for five minutes and stir in eggs. When eggs are scrambled, top with grated cheese and bacon, then serve with tortillas, home-fried potatoes, and refried beans.