Orange Pecan Cake
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 naval orange, washed and unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup water
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Coarse baker’s sugar, optional, for top
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and grease paper.
- Cut the orange into quarters, remove any seeds and blend in a food processor until smooth, scraping down sides at least once.
- Dissolve baking soda in ½ cup water and add to the food processor with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour. Process to combine. Add pecans and stir with a spoon or pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tin and sprinkle with coarse baker’s sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 15-20 minutes, run a knife around edge of cake and invert on to cooling rack to cool completely.