Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes with Scallion Butter
- Slightly starchier than a regular potato with a faint chestnut flavor.
- Bake like a regular potato with garlic cloves, olive oil, rosemary, and finish with smoked salt, or it’s great steamed as well!
- These turn brown when sliced, but immersing the slices in water can preserve the color. These are a source of protein and vitamins A, C, E, and B6.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 8 small, slender Japanese or Garnet sweet potatoes (4 to 5 pounds total)
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ tablespoons miso paste (preferably white)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallion
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Using a fork, prick potatoes all over then place on a large foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until very soft when squeezed, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While potatoes bake, stir together butter, miso, and scallion until combined.
- Slit hot potatoes lengthwise and, using oven mitts, push in sides to puff up potato. Serve topped with scallion butter and with additional scallion butter on the side.