Roasted Yellow Yams
- Important: Yams can make your skin itch, so rub oil on your hands before handling. Or, protect your skin by using a towel or gloves.
- The yellow varieties of yam take longer to cook than the orange. The skin is rough and hard to peel, so it's helpful to heat before peeling.
- These can be baked, fried, or boiled and used in soups and stews.
- 1 large yam, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet or shallow baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Arrange slices of yam in the prepared pan so that they are overlapping slightly. Season with salt and pepper and then drizzle evenly with olive oil.
- Bake until yams are tender and have begun to wrinkle around the edges, about 30 minutes.