Shitake Bacon & Morbier Patty Melt on Portuguese Roll
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 12 slices bacon
- 12 small fresh shiitake mushroom caps (stems removed)
- 1 pound Morbier cheese, shredded
- 4 fresh Portuguese rolls
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large pan, cook the bacon until nicely crisp.
- Remove from the rendered fat and set aside.
- Over a medium heat, add the shiitake mushroom caps to the rendered bacon fat and cook until nicely brown and crisp, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Now, drain the pan of bacon fat but do not wipe out completely.
- Assemble your sandwiches by adding ¼ pound of the Morbier divided on each side of a split Portuguese roll.
- Add the 3 slices of crisp bacon and 3 mushroom caps to the sandwich, then close it up and get ready to grill!
- Preheat your pan over medium heat, add the butter and melt it completely.
- Grill the sandwiches until golden brown on both sides and cheese has melted.