Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Ingredients (makes 8 cups)
- 1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, small dice
- 2 medium celery stalks, small dice
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bushy fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 meaty smoked ham bone or 2 ham hocks
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Arrange the split peas in the slow cooker in an even layer.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf over the peas in one even layer.
- Place the ham bone or hocks on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the chicken broth and water into the slow cooker and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook until the peas are very soft and the meat is falling off the bone, on high for 5 to 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove the ham bone or hocks to a cutting board.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, place the meat back in the soup (discard the skin and bones), and stir to combine.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper to taste.