Spiced Pineapple Guava (Feijoa) Chutney
- Feijoa guavas taste like a mix of bananas, quince, and sweet grapes. The entire fruit is edible.
- These can be eaten fresh out of hand or used in desserts. They can be baked or caramelized in cakes or pies.
- This fruit pairs well with cheese. The flavor can be enhanced with cinnamon, vanilla, and sweet white wines.
- 3 cups feijoa guavas, trimmed and chopped
- ⅓ cup Medjool dates, pitted and slivered
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan with ½ cup water.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to boil, then simmer, covered, until thick and caramelized, about 1 hour.
- Serve warm or chilled. Can store chilled for up to a week.