Steak and Red Wine Soup
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds rare to medium rare steak, NY Strip, top sirloin, etc., ½-inch diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a 7-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat and sauté the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until the vegetables are beginning to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.