Stir Fried Bamboo Shoots
- Bamboo shoots are mild and sweet, similar to baby corn.
- These must be cooked. They can be served in grilled or marinated dishes for a slightly sweet crunch. They can also be used in stir-fries.
- Remember to remove the outer leaves before cooking. The texture can be difficult to digest, so it’s best to boil or steam them for 20 minutes. This ensures that they are soft enough to consume.
- 2 cups bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Slice the bamboo shoots into matchstick-sized pieces. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large frying pan, add vegetable oil. The oil must cover at least an inch of the base of the pan. Heat the oil.
- Add in the bamboo shoots and stir-fry. Keep stirring the shoots till they change color slightly.
- Drain the bamboo shoots on paper towels to remove excess oil. Discard the oil in the pan.
- Into the same pan, add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch, sugar, and cold water.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the fried bamboo shoots. Stir them long enough to heat the shoots.
- Add in the soy sauce and the cornstarch mixture. Mix well till the mixture starts to thicken. Serve hot.