Tart Cherry Crostata
Ingredients (pie crust)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Zest of ½ lemon, optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 (10-ounce) jar Michigan Red Tart Cherry preserves, or your favorite flavor
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
Directions (pie crust)
- Combine flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt in food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse about 10 times, until mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Pulse in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until moist clumps form.
- Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Roll out for a single crust 9-inch pie.
- Prepare pie crust with above instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Have ready a baking sheet and parchment paper.
- Lightly flour parchment paper and roll dough into an 11-circle.
- Spread preserves over dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold and pleat dough border over preserves to form an 8-inch circle.
- Transfer crostada on the parchment paper to baking sheet.
- Bake until crust is golden and preserves are bubbly, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Sprinkle with almonds before serving.