Trinidad Scorpion Chili Scallops
- Important: Always wear protective gloves when handling and make sure to stay in a ventilated area. In an enclosed space, the fumes from these peppers can burn your eyes and throat!
- Trinidad scorpion peppers have a slightly floral taste, but this is difficult to detect over the intense heat.
- These are used for salsas, chilis, and hot sauces, but be warned: the Scoville rating is up to 1,463,000!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 pound scallops
- 1 dried Trinidad scorpion chili pod, cut thinly
- All-purpose flour, for coating
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup minced mixed fresh parsley and cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dry scallops with paper towels and dust lightly with flour.
- Sauté garlic and pepper slices in butter for 1 minute, then add scallops and sauté until golden (dbe careful not to overcook the scallops).
- Stir in tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from pan immediately and serve on a plate of freshly cooked spaghetti or mixed greens. Enjoy!